Thursday, March 11, 2010


Dear friends and family,

Here we are with Aussie Update #1. If you want to be removed from this list, just let me know – you won’t hurt my feelings, but internet time is scarce and it’s much easier to do updates en masse…so far all you cool people who want to stay tuned...
.....................................................
WHEW! I have been in Sydney for about one week, though it feels more like 1 year. The flight from LA was actually quite enjoyable. The new V Australia Airlines has brand new planes, and each seat has its own TV with free movies, stations, and TV shows on demand, free games (hello Pacman) and a USB plug for Iphones/Ipods/Computer. The plane was brand new and HUGE, and the staff were your typical wonderful Aussies, always smiling and ready to crack a joke with you.

That being said, I arrived at 6:00 am very tired and very stinky. Sydney is one of the most international cities I’ve ever been to, up there with Paris, meaning that the only Aussies I’ve met are friends of friends. The friends I’ve met at the hostel or elsewhere are all foreigners as well. Walking down the street you’ll here at least 5 different languages, and when I say walking down these streets I really mean steering because they are so crowded that you have to pay very close attention…crosswalks are hilarious, it looks like mass exodus every time. The fashion here is also out of control – it’s amazing. The inner city Aussie workers sport really stylish business clothes, most of the women wearing fancy, sexy but very professional dresses…like Mary Tyler Moore style. Sydney has a huge Asian population, and they are much more flashy/sparkly/trendy looking with their apparel. The one thing that still baffles me is how on earth all these women are marching all over town in stilettos. I heard the average Sydney dweller walks about 5 miles a day, and I know as a tourist I’ve walked at least 10 everyday…and this place is like a Texas summer people! It’s HOT! I have no idea how they march around in 3 inch heels.

I’ve eaten sushi at least once if not twice everyday, not even on purpose (though I’ve enjoyed every delicious moment of it) but because on any street you will only find ethnic cuisine…Turkish, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Morrocan, and Indian food at your finger tips, in sidewalk cafes or takeaways. They do have “regular” restaurants, if you want to pay $22 for your glass of house wine, for example. There is no such thing as a casual inexpensive restaurant like Chiles or Denny’s here. There is definitely a reason Sydney is called the most expensive city in Australia. I did get to go to a true Aussie hang out with a friend of a friend here, Nick…we went to Bungalow 8 which overlooks Darling Harbour, a beautiful and very touristy site.

Some other interesting tidbits…everything here comes with aioli sauce, and by aioli sauce they mean basically mayonnaise. I still don’t understand this. Don’t even waste your time asking for ketchup with your chips (French fries). There is what seems like a school on every corner…for example there is one right next to my hostel bedroom window, I enjoy watching the kiddoes march up and down the stairs and tease each other and play on the playground, which is located on floor 2 (not sure If they’ve notice the creep y girl staring at them from across the alley). Apparently Aussies are very into private schools, and actually public schools are not as prevalent or full as private schools. ALL of them require uniforms – a friend was telling me that some of the country schools allow their kids to wear their own clothes, but as a nation they opted to make uniforms mandatory, to preserve a sense of equality amongst the kids. When school gets out, the streets are that much more crowded with a sea of different school uniforms. Their economy has been hit like everyone else’s, and the other day I witnessed teachers and schools protesting against low wages. Oz also has a major campaign against binge drinking going on right now…I’ve seen a few billboards for it, and there are HUGE signs for it at almost every train (subway) stop. It basically depicts a drunken scene, like a fight or something, with a big sign that says “Binge Drinking: What are you doing to yourself?” (I took a picture of this, I’ll post pics to Facebook soon.) My friends, the Aussies are drinkers. I mean, really. When I went out with Nick and turned him down for a 4th glass of wine, he looked at me like I was crazy…we started talking about it, and apparently the Aussie custom is that everyone buys at least one round, period. So if you go out with 5 people, you bet your tooshy that you’re drinking at least 5 drinks…and just from hanging out with my other Aussie friends, yes drinking is a very big part of their culture. It is typical for all co workers to have a beer or a glass of wine at lunch during the work day, and Friday afternoon drinks start in the office at 3:00. (Ha, seems like I’m meant to be here, right?! Haha  ) Also, if I haven’t hit this point yet, Aussies are absolutely the most friendly people I’ve ever met. They are so sincere and happy and would love to talk to you if you’re game about anything. Even the customer service reps in stores. Sometimes I am so touched by their helpfulness or friendliness that I will thank them profusely, only for them to look at me weird and say “no worries love”…as in, duh, this is how people treat each other, lady.

I run around with my gang, we all met on the first day here and just hit it off – Caroline from France, Jope from Chile, and Maurice from The Netherlands. We have a grand time, they are all students either undergrad or grad, here for 6 months to study at Sydney University. So far the only touristy thing we’ve done is watch the Chinese New Year celebrations, go to the wildlife center (I saw Koalas and Kangaroos!) and seen Sydney University. Most of my time is spent job hunting and house hunting. I have two interviews tomorrow with Deloitte, will let everyone know how they go! I’m eager to be settled and know what I’ll be doing – bc as soon as I do, I’m venturing down to Melbourne to visit Jonny and Lisa. And though I’ll miss the hostel life, with the amazing, open and friendly people in and out of the door everyday, I’m also ready to have my own place and a wee bit of stability. :)

Whew ! That’s it! Sorry that internet time is scarce, but it will get better here soon when I have my own place. Love you all so much, thanks for helping make me who I am.

Bye for now cobbers –

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment